Search This Blog

Friday, October 7, 2011

It Matters How We Communicate

As an Instructional Designer, I work with education organizations to help them integrate technology both as web-enhanced courses and as fully online instances. As such, I am involved with not only finding new resources but also with helping the individuals and organizations implement those tools. 

I believe that teaching is an opportunity to inspire and empower. In my view, teaching is not about instructing or imparting information to students as if their minds were waiting to be filled with my knowledge. Rather, teaching is igniting transformative learning; empowering students to take responsibility for their learning, inspiring courage to grow intellectually, cultivating curiosity, providing opportunities for developing relationships, clarifying values, uplifting the spirit and igniting action. Ideally, I want students to feel personally changed by their participation in a course.  Transformative learning is a reciprocally educative endeavor—informative and uplifting for teachers and students alike. It is about “opening hearts and minds...” and changing lives for all those involved in the process.

For several years now, I have been promoting the use of technology within our UU congregations both as a means to reach new people and as a way to build community within our congregations. I call it INREACH and OUTREACH. Online interactions and Web 2.0 tools allow us not only to interact more with each other, but also to become active participants in a community larger than our single congregation.  

Through this blog, I hope we can inspire and empower our congregations and individuals--to ignite transformative learning through and about technology. Since transformative learning is a reciprocal endeavor, I hope that readers will feel free to comment and discuss information posted here.

Gayla S. Keesee
gskeesee@gmail.com




No comments:

Post a Comment